Thursday, May 14, 2009

Halo Wars

So the Single Player Campaign was quite easy and short. I was pinning my hopes on the multiplayer and figured that this is where Halo Wars would shine. It didn't. The multiplayer came down to 3 ways of winning. Rushing with warthogs, hit and run attacks with firehawks, or an early covenant rush.

That limits you to three types of strategies, with the warthog rush always the winner if done properly, even against a covenant rush. The game is very simply and it was amazing how many people online could not understand the basic rts strategies. One race/leader clearly stands out among the rest and I found myself getting bored using the same winning strategy game after game (warthog rush).

Pros-
1. Easy to pick up
2. Amazing RTS graphics
3. The halo feel in general

Cons-
1. Easy to pick up. On my second online game I found there was little or no room for improvement.
2. 40 population cap (I hate low pop caps)
3. Must build on special locations(usually 2 per person) Not good if you like to mass build and spread out.
4. One clear winning strategy
5. Lack of civilization balance

On a good note- The game is fun for a while and if you are playing with a decent friend, then you can have a really good time. Rent it for a couple of weeks. I give it a 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment